How to survive Valentine's day
As you might already know St. Valentine's day is slowly coming towards us. Therefore, I decided to make this post to all my single readers who don't have a significant other for this day!
Even though I am in a relationship right now, this Valentine's day will only be the second year I have a date for Valentine's day (with my boyfriend of 2 years). I know how much it sucks to be alone on this day, for me it was especially hard when I was a teen, because I just felt the pressure of having a boyfriend ( For the reasons of proving myself to others. For example, all these comparisons between girls- the talks of first boyfriends, first kisses etc. They made me insecure in a way, because as I was listening to their stories, experiences. I felt left behind, like there was something wrong with me- that I still hadn't kissed a boy or had a relationship for that matter.I think I was 14 or something). Little did I know that I still had a lot of ahead of me, but back then it just seemed like a disaster, especially on Valentine's day!
Be your own Valentine
This day is all about love, right? Then how about not concentrating your love towards other people, but instead, how about you give all that love to yourself and be your own Valentine? I mean if Sue Sylvester ( a character from Glee) could marry herself, because there is not a better partner to her than herself, why couldn't we all just love ourselves and treat ourselves for at least one day a year? Hehe, this made me laugh: "I will be my own Valentine, because I am always there, whenever I need me!"
And if I am talking about loving ourselves, here are some ways I would treat myself if I wouldn't have a date on Valentine's:
1. & 2. & 3.- Shopping spree
Sometimes I wonder if I could be a shopaholic, because there is practically nothing that brings me more instant pleasure and sometimes even an adrenaline rush than a good shopping spree, especially if I have found some great deals or bargains along the way.
1. Jewelry is a great gift idea for guys to give it as a special treat to their ladies on this special day ( I think you can never go wrong with jewelry, am I wrong?). So maybe, if you don't a boyfriend who could give you these nice shiny things- gift them to yourself! Just look at these adorable stackable rings from fresh trends, I can only imagine how cute they would look all together!
2. When I see a red dress, my mind immediately goes to two things. The first is the lyrics from Lana Del Rey’s “Summertime Sadness” that says, “I got my red dress on tonight / Dancing in the dark in the pale moonlight”. The second, obviously, is Valentine’s Day! Whether you love or hate the holiday, it’s a great excuse to wear red, buy a cute new dress and have a dinner date with someone- whether that be a husband, boyfriend, or your girlfriends. And how could anybody resist you in this dress?
3. Shoes. There can never be too many pairs of shoes, right? :) I fell in love with this pair from Charlotterusse.
4.- Pamper yourself
Of course not all of us are rich enough to afford a whole day of pampering in a spa or resort, but if you have a bathtub, a good book & maybe few dollars to buy a bottle of red wine and some chocolates, then I guess a plan for the evening is settled, right? :)
5. - No sappy romantic comedies!
I think that watching TV series could also be a good idea, but definitely avoid any kind of romance movies, trust me- been there, done that, will never do that again! I would suggest you watch something funny, something that makes you laugh, for example, here are the shows that I like & that make me laugh: The Simpsons, Friends, Modern Family, How I met your mother etc. + as a complement to the TV series marathon- a bottle of wine & some chocolates. Haha, can you guess which alcoholic beverage I like the most? :D
+ One additional- Go to an animal shelter and play/walk with the cutie-pies that live there
As I said, this day is about love & maybe if you don't want to sit at home and pamper yourself, do something nice for those who crave the love the most. I bet there would be many dogs at your local animal shelter who would love to be stroked and played with, even for a little while. :)
How are you going to spend this Valentine's day? :)